Unreal

I read today, that statistics show it is more difficult for a heroin addict to kick his addiction and STAY CLEAN than it is for someone to lose weight and keep it off.

Say what?!?!

It really struck a chord in me.

I used to think that if no one saw me eating that extra slice of pie, or 1/2 a bag of chips, or finish off the gallon of ice cream....that it didn't "count".  It didn't matter...it didn't happen.  No one knew about it but me, and I was a great liar to myself...very convincing!

Then, on my journey to becoming more healthy, I learned the most important rule about weight loss.

RULE # 1 - Losing weight is a simple formula...calories in < calories out. 

Our bodies, my friends, are PERFECT calorie counters.  Even if you pretend that you only had 1 donut, but really inhaled 3...your BODY knows the truth.  Our BODY never needs to be re-calibrated or tuned up, it is a well oiled, perfect running machine.  If we give it too much energy, it stores it for when we're in short supply.  The only thing of ours that ever needs adjusting or retraining is our MIND.  It is very easily persuaded to cheat or take the easy road, and it's up to YOU to remind it who is in control!

If you try to mentally convince yourself that you're being healthy because the dressing on your salad only has 30 calories/tsp, but you eat  6 tbsp, your body KNOWS that you really just ate 540 calories...even if you DON'T.

You see, calories are in everything.  Beverages as well as solid foods...gum, mints, even "water" (flavored).  It is crucial for success to do 2 things for yourself:

  1. Be honest with yourself.  If a serving size of crackers is about 12 crackers, eat 12 crackers (or less).  I've found it very helpful to portion out the whole box of crackers as soon as I get it.  It does waste baggies, but in addition to being convenient for me when I'm in a rush, my kids also take the correct serving size.
  2. If you drink it, lick it, sip it or eat it, WRITE IT DOWN.  There are DOZENS of calorie counter tools online that are very accurate and convenient.  Personally, I use mydailyplate.com.  They list every brand of every food you could possibly think of, and also help you set goals for yourself to lose weight.  You WILL be SHOCKED at how many calories you're actually consuming that you don't "count". 

Until Tomorrow!
Keep healthy, keep safe and keep going!
Have an awesome day!

♥Fit~NOW~Girl♥

0 comments: